Cleaning your wig, whether it is made with human hair or synthetic hair, is essential if you want to keep it looking its best. However, there are specific things you need to know in order to get longevity out of your wigs. Here are some essential tips for cleaning human and synthetic wigs.
Washing Human Hair Wigs
If you have a human hair wig you should brush it out with a wig brush before washing it. If your wig has curls in it, then you are better off using your fingers to get rid of any tangles before washing it. Once you have brushed out the wig and removed all tangles, you should use a gentle shampoo to wash the wig. Follow these steps to get the best results:
- Add some mild shampoo to a basin filled with water.
- Turn your wig inside out.
- Completely immerse the wig in water.
- Soak it for at least five minutes
- Rinse the wig in cold water to remove all the shampoo.
Once you have finished shampooing the wig, it is time for you to condition it.
- Apply conditioner to the wig.
- Let it soak in the hair for at least three minutes.
- Rinse the wig in cold water.
- Get a towel and gently remove the water from the wig.
- Spray the hair with conditioning spray.
- Put the wig on a stand and let it air dry.
- Style the wig as desired.
Washing Synthetic Hair Wigs
Synthetic wigs can become damaged quickly if they are not washed in a manner that prevents frizzing and tangling. Here are the essential steps you need to know in order to prevent synthetic wigs from getting damaged when washed. While the steps are basically the same as with human hair, you must ensure that you use a wig shampoo and avoid heat styling this kind of wig.
- Mix in three capfuls of the wig shampoo with some water in a basin.
- Immerse the wig in the water, swirl it back and forth.
- Rinse the wig under cold water.
- Use a wig conditioner to condition the synthetic hair. Let it soak in the wig for at least two minutes.
- Rinse out the conditioner.
- Use a towel to gently pat the wig dry. Never rub a synthetic wig because unlike human hair it will frizz.
- Hang the wig on a stand to dry out.
- You should use a wig brush or a wide tooth comb and your fingers to style this wig.
If you follow these tips, you should be able to keep both your human and synthetic wigs looking their best at all times.Share